9.19.2008

Do Nice Girls Finish Last...Too?

I was just pondering upon that statement. I know it is said more often towards the male gender, but does it apply to females as well?

I just find that with today's society, it seems girls are expected to be more aggressive towards dating and whatnot. And I have seen it and some work and some just doesn't. Call me old fashioned, but I still prefer the guy chasing the girl. I am aware this game doesn't always go into play properly because Girl Next Door could be completely oblivious or is just not interested in the guy. As for Mr. Nice Guy, he could just be shy and doesn't know how to get the girl's attention. I tried talking to guys through friends but really had no luck with going for the guy because I was too shy to really put myself out there. I tried to flirt but I think my approach is too subtle to get across that I am flirting. I seem to always revert back to my high school self and freak out when I don't know what to do with my crush being in the same room. Maybe that's why I went for online dating? It was easier for me to flirt via text because there were no physical contact at risk. Don't get me wrong, I love the physical contact. I'm the touchy-feely type of person. But I don't think I ever use that at the right time. The online dating did get me a relationship for over a year, but that's another story. (You can refer to a couple of earlier posts regarding that relationship).

So my point is, with my shyness and lack of real dating skills, what does a "nice girl" have to do to get a guy's attention? I've tried striking a conversation with someone that I find interesting, and I can dance, so if anyone asks me to dance that won't be a problem. The only thing I will never do is a one-night stand. I may joke about sexual things but sex is still sacred between partners who are in love. I have this pamphlet that I got from church that explains why everyone should wait to have sex before marriage, so I'm covered with that topic, thanks. But do I still need to wait for Prince-Charming to step in a club/bar, house party, work, and/or down the street to sweep me off my feet? Or do I just look at what's under my nose all this time?

Is it worse for nice guys just as it is for girls when it comes to finding a potential mate?

Maybe to answer my confusion is to just say what I think. As the saying goes, honesty is the best policy. But I don't take rejections really well and I'm sure the average person doesn't either. I usually do the rejecting which is easy, but not the other way around.

I don't even know why I'm already thinking about this. What's the etiquette after a break-up? How soon are you allowed to date? (This may be another topic of discussion.)

You tell me (boys or girls)...maybe you have better ways of attracting the opposite sex. Do you have rules that you go by? Give me some pointers. I'm happy to hear them from you reader(s).

No comments: